[cabfpub] EV Wildcards

Tim Shirley TShirley at trustwave.com
Fri Mar 20 15:37:36 UTC 2015

It seems like a different risk to me because I'm less likely to detect spoofing of a site that's unknown to me than a site that is known.  If they're spoofing my known site to MITM me, then they have to talk to my sites and I may detect them that way.  But if they're stealing my brand name in order to create a new site leveraging my brand, they don't need to touch my systems for anything, so it's easier for it to remain unknown to me.

The other scenario I can imagine is an internal management issue.  The owner of the wildcard cert within the organization intended it for certain high-profile external sites, but then another person within the organization (who shouldn't really have access to the key) copies it without the owner's knowledge to use for a test/prototype site for which it was not intended.

Maybe I was misunderstanding Bruce's scenario, and like I said I'm not sure how much weight to give these concerns.  But they do seem like incremental risks above what we have today with EV.