[cabfpub] Revocation revamp

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Thu Mar 19 23:39:10 UTC 2015

I definitely agree with the “within 24 hours a CA must begin investigating”. It ensures the CA is responsive to reports of a key compromise and is taking the report seriously. I also like having actions tied to public disclosure time frames.  72 hours seems reasonably, except in the case of industry-wide events like heartbleed where the CAs didn’t receive notice.  For events like heartbleed, 72 hours is a short window to replace every cert out there for most CAs. For the preliminary decision, I’d say it should be the MUST take action within a reasonable timeframe that is decided in collaboration with the entity who reported the compromised key and the certificate holder (but not to exceed 14 days).  If revocation is required within 72 hours of a public disclosure, you still have the upper bounds on when revocation will happen.

Jeremy