[cabfpub] Assumed names and organization names

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Tue Mar 10 20:34:36 UTC 2015

Hi Rich,

On 03/10/2015 10:15 PM, Rich Smith wrote:

> Eddy, not sure about all jurisdictions, but for the US DBA/trade names
> are generally registered, either at the state, county or city level,
> depending upon jurisdiction, so tracing them back to the legal entity
> is generally possible, it's just not in your face obvious, which these
> customers would call a feature, not a bug, and generally the reason
> why they register such a DBA/trade name in the first place.

OK, first of all lets work on the assumption that we are writing the
guidelines for any part of the world, not just the US. This will
probably help us to look at the issue better.

Now, can you (or anybody else) explain to me what were the reasons for
the proposed naming convention for EV certificates? Assuming there are a
couple of good reasons, why should this be a bad thing for non-EV
certificates?

As somebody who was and is involved trying to confirm registered trade
names (DBAs) I can tell you that this isn't always an easy thing, not
even in the US. Now proposing to have a relying party doing the same
thing, even if possible somehow defeats the purpose of a verification in
my opinion.

For the record, we adopted the naming convention required for EV
certificates also for non-EV verified SSL certificates. Of course not
everybody likes it, but then there are many things potential subscribers
(or existing subscribers) don't like very much, but nevertheless have to
agree with it or use a different verification or certificate type.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO