[cabfpub] Chrome revocation checking problem

Erwann Abalea erwann.abalea at opentrust.com
Mon Mar 30 07:04:28 MST 2015

Bonjour,

I'm not sure it's something to discuss here, but since you brought the
subject...

Chrome doesn't use the CRLs, they are replaced with CRLSet, since 2012.
Your DVCA isn't in the current CRLSet.
CRLSet involves crawling CRLs and extracting useful entries. The
usefulness depends on the revocation reason, and the security risk
associated with the declared reason.

The dvcasha2.crl CRL contains a lot of certificates revoked with an
"unspecified" reason code, and that's the reason used for this
particular certificate. I don't know if Google takes those reason codes
as security risks.

Take a look at RFC5280:
-----
5.3.1.  Reason Code

    The reasonCode is a non-critical CRL entry extension that identifies
    the reason for the certificate revocation.  CRL issuers are strongly
    encouraged to include meaningful reason codes in CRL entries;
    however, the reason code CRL entry extension SHOULD be absent instead
    of using the unspecified (0) reasonCode value.
-----

If you remove the "unspecified" reason code to comply with the SHOULD,
and Google takes your CRL into consideration to build the CRLSet, then
those certificates will surely be declared as revoked (no indicated
reason is considered risky for the CRLSet build process, last time I
checked).

You SHOULD really take a look at the content of your CRLs when they come
from the same CA and are signed by a different key with different
algorithms.
For example, spacesslca.crl and spacesslcasha2.crl, or evca.crl and
evca2.crl. They don't contain the same information, yet are all 4
unpartitioned and complete CRLs for 2 CAs.

--
Erwann ABALEA