[cabfpub] EV Wildcards

Bruce Morton bruce.morton at entrust.com
Fri Mar 20 06:27:07 MST 2015

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for bringing this up. Our position is that we would like EV certificates to be better than OV and DV. I think that was what we tried to do when the original specification was created.

We believe that wildcard certificates have a higher security risk. Another example of a risk is that if a subscriber wants to protect 10 subdomains then a wildcard certificate can be used. But what if an attacker adds an 11th subdomain, then the certificate can still be used. Seems like a risk we can avoid with the current EV spec.

As such, based on this risk and other examples which have been brought up, we would not be in favor of adding wildcard to EV.

Thanks, Bruce.