[cabfpub] EV Wildcards

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Fri Mar 20 04:02:43 MST 2015

On 03/20/2015 02:18 AM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> Wildcards are the best chance the Internet has to moving to a secure
> world, and prohibiting or restricting them does nothing (from this
> browsers point of view) to improve security, and would actively harm
> TLS adoption.

I don't think so - there is no reason to stated multiple host names (sub
domains) in a certificate. Nothing prevents from having many sub domains
stated in the certificates (as with EV). Wild cards are really only
necessary for some dynamic applications (sites that add or remove
dynamically sub domains) or for the lazy.

If it's for the latter I don't see a good reason why not to require a
higher verification, for the former also not because there is a real
need for it.

For those that want to abuse wild cards, it becomes uninteresting if a
verification (and publication of the details in the certificate) is
required.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO