[cabfpub] Short-Lived Certs - the return

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Mar 19 08:53:17 MST 2015

On 03/19/2015 03:19 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 19/03/15 04:56, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
>> Why 72 hours? Why not the OCSP max age?
> My view is that the risk analysis is not equivalent. Sane people may
> disagree :-) Also, the documented OCSP max age is not the same thing as
> what people use in practice. Several CAs have mentioned that they use
> lower numbers. Therefore one could see the higher number as "looser
> security than we currently have /de facto/".

While probably true, it's actually even less relevant because it really
depends on what browsers actually do.

And here it looks much different, as an example your Firefox reloads it
every 24  hours. Not sure about others like IE and Safari, but it could
be also set to a fixed time instead of what the OCSP advertises as max age.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO