[cabfpub] [CABFORUM] Re: Intermediate certificate names

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue Mar 10 10:17:25 MST 2015

The classification can be more complicated, depending on how you slice it and what you want to know from the intermediate.

1)     Where the Sub CA performs all the validation and issues the cert but the private key is hosted by another CA

2)     Where the Sub CA hosts the keys and controls issuance

3)     Where the Sub CA hosts the keys but all services related to issuance and compliance are performed by another CA

4)     Where the Sub CA has the right to host the keys, but is currently leasing space/equipment from another CA

5)     Where the Sub CA performs all of the validation except domain validation and uses another CA (who hosts the private key) to do the domain validation

6)     Etc

There are about as many shades of variation as there are Sub CAs.

As a starting point, I think we need a consensus on what we want the intermediate to convey. Suggestions:

1)      Who controls the private key

2)      Who owns the private key

3)      Who performs the validation

4)      Who operates the relevant CPS

5)      Which is the audited entity

6)      Which entity is using the intermediate for certificates

7)      More?

Jeremy