[cabfpub] Short-Lived Certs - the return

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Jun 11 15:57:17 UTC 2015

On 06/11/2015 02:54 PM, Doug Beattie wrote:
> While Revocation can take place immediately, the BRs only say that you
> must update your cert status every 10 days.

That's correct when nothing changes, which however is not correct when a
certificate must be revoked. It's in that case no max 10 days, but
rather fairly immediately.

Also most browsers that check OCSP do that on a daily basis and not
after 10 days. So your argument is not really working and the reason why
I'm not much in favor.

> The same is true with short validity period certificates;

Again, I think browsers can handle that according to their
consideration. Some browsers don't check OCSP, so do only then a stapled
response is received etc. etc.

My recommendation for browsers would be the omit revocation checking if
the expiration of the certificate is less than 24 hours.

> This ballot will enable browsers and other applications that process
> SSL certificates to start considering if/how they want to handle them.

No, they can do that already today without any ballot. But providing an
exception for omitting OCSP/CRLs opens a can of bees....I don't want to
go there :-)

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO