[cabfpub] Chrome security warning discrepancy?

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Mon Jan 26 21:30:48 UTC 2015

BTW, I just filed a new bug for this:

On 26/01/15 20:47, Rob Stradling wrote:
> Dean, what puzzles me about that www.marriott.com screenshot is that
> Chrome makes two apparently conflicting statements (emphasis mine)...
>
> "Identity _not verified_"
>
> and
>
> "The identity of this website _has been verified_ by <CA Name>"
>
> Which of these two statements is correct?!?
>
> On 24/01/15 16:55, Dean Coclin wrote:
>> I recently downloaded the newest version of Chrome (Version 40.0.2214.91
>> m)  and am now baffled by the certificate information. Here are 2 examples:
>>
>> This screen shot shows https://www.Marriott.com. First it shows the
>> green lock and https as a normal indication of a secure connection. But
>> below it says the site is using outdated security settings. I thought if
>> it said this, then we would see a yellow indication (triangle or
>> question mark) above. Have things changed?
>>
>> Further, it says “Identity not verified” even though the site has
>> undergone OV vetting and all information in the cert about the company
>> was checked.
>>
>> Contrast this to the 2^nd site below,
>> https://www.carbon2cobalt.com/statuslogin.asp which has a DV cert yet
>> says “Identity verified”:
>>
>> Both sites have had their domain names “validated” yet why say “Identity
>> verified” with a DV cert and not an OV cert?
>>
>> Does anybody understand this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dean

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.