[cabfpub] Ballot 142 - Reposted

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Jan 7 18:10:32 UTC 2015

On 07/01/15 18:00, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com wrote:
> *Ballot 142 – Elimination of EV Insurance Requirement*
>
> The following motion has been proposed by Gervase Markham of Mozilla and
> endorsed by Ryan Sleevi of Google and Moudrick Dadashov of SSC.

Thanks to Kirk for reposting these.

I am happy to refresh everyone's memory by re-making the case for the
elimination of the existing insurance requirement, something which both
ballots propose. All: please do say if you are still unconvinced by the
wisdom of this.

In short: our analysis, in consultation with lawyers, suggests that
there is no forseeable circumstance where relying parties or the
Internet in general would benefit from the particular mandated forms of
insurance, and the significant cost is a barrier to market entry, which
a trade body should not be perpetuating without good evidence of
particular effectiveness.

Mozilla also supports the provisions of ballot 141 which prevent CAs
from disclaiming all liability for their certificates. However, both
ballots are being allowed to proceed so that the two issues can be
decoupled from one another. If you support the removal of the current
requirements but not the imposition of the new ones, you can vote Yes to
my ballot (142) and No to Kirk's (141).