[cabfpub] the real barrier for new CA RE: Ballot 142 - Reposted

Richard Wang richard at wosign.com
Wed Jan 7 20:49:54 MST 2015

Hi all,

WoSign renewed our 2015 insurance  for two reasons:
1. We posted our SSL certificate warranty (insurance) in our website, the sales & marketing department think if we delete this warranty, how my customer think about?  We think keep it is better to give my customer more confidences and benefit for marketing;
2. Our directors think buying insurance is good activity for a good company operation, it will protect company in case of the fault happen.

I don't think the insurance cost is a "significant cost", " a barrier to market entry".
The REAL barrier for new entry is the long long time for all browser/OS's root inclusion time. In order to let our issued cert support all browser and all OS, we should pay more than 6 times of the insurance cost for cross signing with the old included roots. This is the big barrier and big burden for new CA.  Nearly two years passed from our root inclusion application to all browsers, we finished some, and there are still some browser/OS still don't include WoSign root, and even never response my inquiry email.

I wish the browsers can process the root inclusion more efficiently, more quickly that help new entry reduce the cost, thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Richard