[cabfpub] Ballot 144 -.onion domains

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Thu Feb 12 19:44:39 MST 2015

Actually, this illustrates exactly why EV is being used for these.  Someone might be able to generate a name that looks similar to the facebook onion name.  Without EV, you couldn’t convey which is the actual onion service run by facebook, making it easier to conduct phishing attacks.  All onion names are meaningful in that they tie the service to a particular key. With EV, you have a way to tie the key directly to an existing organization.