[cabfpub] Ballot 158: Adopt Code Signing Baseline Requirements

Sigbjørn Vik sigbjorn at opera.com
Mon Dec 14 04:58:34 MST 2015

While we believe this document contains a lot of improvements, we are
not yet ready to support it. Opera therefore votes "NO".

Our concerns have been brought up before, some have been allayed in this
version, but there are still some remaining.

In general we are still not convinced that this has had sufficient
consideration among subscribers and software vendors.

* This will obligate subscribers to use particular ways of protecting
keys, which may be less secure and less practical than currently. At
least for Opera this will be the case. We currently keep an offline
signing machine in a secure storage, and bring items to be signed to the
machine. The new guidelines stipulate that we must keep the key on a USB
stick instead. (The other solutions do not support key backup, so are
not usable.) In practice, this means that the key is less protected, may
easily disappear, and that the signing code will be on an online
computer - compromise of that computer is almost as bad as compromise of
the key itself.
* The definition of suspect code includes code which contains "serious
vulnerabilities". In some cases software vendors (e.g. browsers) may
wish to ship an update for one serious vulnerability, while still
working on fixing another. This is precluded with the existing defintion.
* We see no reason to copyright the document. (We do not consider "did
in the past" a reason.) That the current statement precludes copying
only parts of the document, makes it particularly problematic.
* The password requirements for transport of the key are overly strict,
especially as the physical device containing the key has to be
transported to and from the signing computer all the time. Either
constrain the password requirements to electronic transportation, or
reduce them.
* "LLCs", "CISA" and "DBA" ought to be defined before accepting this
document.
* "the CA must revoke the certificate except if the CA has documented
proof (e.g., OCSP logs) that this will cause significant impact to the
general public." We do not want this to be a loophole, where a CA can
choose not revoke certificates for their own reasons, and not tell
anyone. Some way of ensuring a consistent interpretation of this is
needed. A simple way would be to inform the the CA/B Forum. Other ways
may be devised.

A general comment to the guidelines, as it seems there is a
misunderstanding. "SHOULD" and "should" have the same meaning in the
document, RFC 2119 makes no case distinction, neither does the document.
Documents which wish to clearly separate, should state this where they
define the meanings. It suffices to add e.g. "when used in upper case".

Sigbjørn Vik
Opera Software