[cabfpub] Misissuance of certificates

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Dec 11 18:10:57 MST 2015

Ryan,

Today, we and other CAs issue certificates to customers for use both (a) publicly and with browsers, and (b) privately on internal networks and/or with non-browser applications. Currently, these certificates all have a TLS serverAuth EKU, all are in-scope with the BRs, and all comply with the BRs. They all are issued from roots that appear in browser and OS trust stores.

However, we believe that if a CA issues a certificate (1) with a TLS serverAuth EKU, that (2) chains to a root that is not in browser or OS trust stores, then those certificates are not in scope nor need to comply with the BRs. We’ve discussed this before in the CA/B Forum and there seems to be consensus among the Forum members, including auditors.

The issue that we’re raising here is that today the same roots, those trusted by browsers, are used for both public and private applications. This creates unnecessary complexity and delays in moving initiatives in the CA/B Forum forward as we have to solve for both the public and private use cases. What we’re recommending is finally to make these use cases clearly distinct for customers (clearly using different roots for the public vs. private cases and the clarifying the implications of choosing one vs. the other) and to provide a transition period to do so.

This will serve not only this topic of transparency but also allow us the ability to move faster than before to move forward other important changes when it comes to publicly trusted certificates.

-Rick