[cabfpub] Copyright license on Guidelines and Requirements

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Aug 14 07:49:01 MST 2015

On 07/03/15 20:46, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Unless there is objection, I'll go through the next version of each of each
> of the guideline documents we publish and make the correction that Gerv has
> mentioned.

Hi Ben,

It seems like this hasn't happened yet, for any of the final CAB Forum
documents. Could it, please? :-)

Did we agree that CC-BY was compatible with the IPR policy section 6.2
on Final Guidelines (i.e. it is "a license to all, worldwide, ... to
reproduce, distribute, make derivative works and display such ...
Guidelines")? I seem to remember we did, but I can't find email about
it. If so, you would simply replace all the current copyright stuff with:

"This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0
International License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/>."

The IPR policy only grants worldwide copying rights for Final
Guidelines; the power is limited to CAB Forum Participants for draft
guidelines. So in that case, we would need different boilerplate, based
closely on the wording of section 6.2:

"All CAB Forum Participants and their Affiliates are granted an
irrevocable, worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, nontransferable,
nonexclusive copyright license to reproduce, modify and distribute this
document (in any and all print, electronic or other means of
reproduction, storage or transmission) for the purpose of developing and
publishing Draft Guidelines and Final Guidelines or Final
Maintenance Guidelines."