[cabfpub] Ballot for limited exemption to RFC 5280 for CTimplementation

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Fri Sep 19 11:18:28 UTC 2014

On 18/09/14 22:04, Brian Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:08 AM, Rob Stradling <rob.stradling at comodo.com> wrote:
>> On 18/09/14 04:55, Brian Smith wrote:
>> It would be great if OCSP Stapling was already deployed sufficiently
>> ubiquitously for this workaround to be viable.  Unfortunately, it's still
>> not.
>
> There's no way for me to access the accuracy of that statement. Also,
> your definition of "viable" is very different than mine, because I
> think browsers shouldn't show the EV indicator unless there's a
> stapled OCSP response, *regardless* of CT.

Brian, that's an interesting point of view.  Is it just your own private
opinion, or is it shared by Mozilla?

IINM, in Chrome's case CRLSets cover all EV certs, so there wouldn't be
much point making Stapled OCSP a prerequisite for getting the EV indicator.

> (The only useful thing about EV is its effect on encouraging CT adoption.)

Really?

>>> Finally, IIUC, the only
>>> negative consequence of this that EV certificates won't get the EV
>>> indicator in Google Chrome. It doesn't affect any other clients, IIUC.
>>
>> Correct.  However, EV certificate holders really don't want to lose the EV
>> indicator in Chrome!
>
> That's a private matter between the CAs and Google.

It ceases to be a private matter if we accept that it impacts the BRs/EVGs.

>>> IMO, it makes more sense to change the experiment than it does to
>>> (effectively) change the fundamental standards that all CABForum work is
>>> based on.
>>
>> Maybe so, but I don't see any sign of Google's CT/EV plan being derailed.
>> Remember, it's already been 3 years since the DigiNotar incident...
>
> Again, that's between Google and the CAs in its program.

As above.

<snip>

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.