[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 125 - CAA Records

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Sep 8 12:39:03 UTC 2014

We support the ballot as written, and I share Ryan's concerns about the
precedents that regulating a CA's communications with its customers
would set. I comment because I also have an active disagreement with
Kirk's amendment.

On 07/09/14 02:25, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com wrote:
> To put it directly: Do you think CAs should be able to engage in the
> practices that would be prohibited by my proposed amendment?  If yes,
> why would this behavior be acceptable?  If no, then you should support
> the amendment.

I actually think it is fine for CAs to suggest that customers consider
using CAA if they are not using it - something which your first point
outlaws. I agree that 2), and the analogous part in 3), are bad ideas.
But not all bad ideas should be illegal.