[cabfpub] Revocation Information

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue Sep 23 06:28:05 MST 2014

On 23/09/14 14:07, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 23/09/14 13:53, Tim Shirley wrote:
>> To clarify on question #1: are you looking for a set of URLs that
>> provide revocation information *only* for non-EE certificates?  Put
>> another way, would a CRL not be useful to you if it contained
>> revocation information for both EE and non-EE certificates in the
>> same file?
>
> Good question. I wasn't aware such CRLs existed.

Until the BRs put a stop to it, some CAs were issuing SSL certs directly
from Roots with validity periods of up to 10yrs or so.  The expiry dates
for some number of these SSL certs are still in the future.

> If it were possible to
> tell from the CRL which revocations were of which type, then this would
> be fine, but I suspect it is not.

Well, there's the "Issuing Distribution Point" CRL extension (see
RFC5280 Section 5.2.5), which IIRC NSS chokes on.  This has an
"onlyContainsCACerts" option.  Hardly any CAs use the IDP extension
though, AFAIK, perhaps because RFC5280 Section 5 also says...
   "Conforming applications are not
    required to support processing of delta CRLs, indirect CRLs, or CRLs
    with a scope other than all certificates issued by one CA."

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist