[cabfpub] Ballot for limited exemption to RFC 5280 for CTimplementation

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Thu Sep 18 02:08:00 MST 2014

On 18/09/14 04:55, Brian Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Kirk Hall wrote:
>     __
>
>     1. Amend the Definitions as follows:____
>
>     __ __
>
>     Valid Certificate:**A Certificate that passes the validation
>     procedure specified in RFC 5280 */_(except for the limited exemption
>     provided in Appendix B)._/*
>

> This seems like a bad and unnecessary idea to me. The trans working
> group is already debating discussing the format of precertificates so
> that they are not syntactically-valid certificates for the
> standards-track CT mechanism. The version of CT Google and the CAs have
> implemented is an experiment, not a standard or proposed standard. The
> CAs can work around this issue by using the OCSP-based CT mechanism
> instead of the precertificate mechanism.

Hi Brian.

It would be great if OCSP Stapling was already deployed sufficiently
ubiquitously for this workaround to be viable.  Unfortunately, it's
still not.

> Finally, IIUC, the only
> negative consequence of this that EV certificates won't get the EV
> indicator in Google Chrome. It doesn't affect any other clients, IIUC.

Correct.  However, EV certificate holders really don't want to lose the
EV indicator in Chrome!

> IMO, it makes more sense to change the experiment than it does to
> (effectively) change the fundamental standards that all CABForum work is
> based on.

Maybe so, but I don't see any sign of Google's CT/EV plan being
derailed.  Remember, it's already been 3 years since the DigiNotar
incident...

> Note that the use or non-use of a precertificate signing certificate has
> no bearing (IIUC) on whether the precertificate would be a duplicate of
> the final certificate, because the difference between Option 1 and
> Option 2 doesn't affect the issuer and serial number fields of the
> precertificate.

Not quite.  The Precertificate's serial number is indeed the same with
both options.  However, the Precertificate's issuer name and AKI are
different, depending on whether option 1 or 2 is used.

<snip>

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.