[cabfpub] Ballot - expiration of SHA1 certificates

Tom Albertson tomalb at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 12 16:12:54 MST 2014

Hi there - sorry to drop off the face of the earth there, I was oof and got busy this week.  Great feedback!  I have attached to this email a revised ballot incorporating some of your feedback, and am writing specific responses on a few topics raised.

Best Regards and I'll see some of you next week,
Tom

@sleevi @kirik_hall  @jeremy.rowley @adriano.santoni - Tom: ballot endorsements, thank you very much.  This new ballot is somewhat amended and still requires endorsers.

bruce at entrust - I hear you on the implementation deadline of 10 Nov 2014, and why you would prefer 1 Jan 2015.  I have a similar problem with numerous deadlines that are too short and don't take into account any of my priorities.  A quick poll of CAs will show all are short of time to implement anything, and even 1 Jan 2015 doesn't work for them.  I prefer to leave our deadline short and in place, because it recognizes the urgency of moving away from SHA-1.  If CAs are actually hurting to meet this deadline I would love to hear from them, if they need more time then we can allow it on their audits etc - but I am not certain that 1 Jan 2015 is any better than 10 November 2014.

@rick_andrews @brian - OCSP, 3 uses - 1. The ResponderID construct (through KeyHash), to identify a certificate by the hash of its public key. 2. The CertID construct. 3. The signature of the OCSP response.
Tom:  Correct - Windows will enforce the SHA1 policy only on the 3) signature of the OCSP response. The SHA1 policy does not apply to any other uses of SHA1, such as the ResponderID construct, key hash or CertID.

@frank_leroy @rob.stradling @remi.pifaut - refine scope to "SHA-1withRSAencryption for signature algorithm" since SHA1 still used to compute AKI and SKI.