[cabfpub] Ballot - expiration of SHA1 certificates

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Mon Sep 8 15:20:59 MST 2014

On 09/09/2014 01:09 AM, Eddy Nigg wrote:

> On 09/09/2014 12:58 AM, Rick Andrews wrote:
>>
>> January 1 brings on a different set of challenges, because we, and
>> many of our customers, impose a deployment freeze at the end of the year.
>>

> You can always start earlier if you want :-)

In this respect I'd like to see the leading web sites to start using
SHA2 hashed certificates as proposed in the ballots. Meaning the top 50
Alexa or so which includes many sites operated and directly controlled
by the dear browser vendors. Then we could A) learn what breaks and B)
ease transition for all the others because browsers and devices not
supporting it will be no longer relevant.

Google.com
Facebook.com
Youtube.com
Yahoo.com