[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 125 - CAA Records

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Sat Sep 6 19:17:25 MST 2014

On Sep 6, 2014 6:26 PM, "kirk_hall at trendmicro.com" <kirk_hall at trendmicro.com>
wrote:

> Ryan, you need to moderate your words – you are becoming unnecessarily
offensive on this list.

> In no way is my proposal a “stalling tactic” – it’s a serious proposal,
and you should treat it as such.  If the amendment is quickly adopted,
Trend Micro and many other CAs will likely support this ballot and it will
probably pass with no delay.  If not, the ballot may fail.

Kirk,

What you continue to leave critically unaddressed is how the current ballot
makes your doomsday scenario any more likely.

The critical fact is that it does not. It in no way alters the shape or
risk of this, which is why it is demonstrably unnecessary.

You continue to paint the amendment as a way to address a hypothetical
concern that "some members" may have, while refraining from actually
stating or addressing if you object to the current form as written, and
why. There is absolutely no need to engage in the amendment if this ballot
would pass as is, and if the amendment is meant to address some concern,
then it would be a far better use of everyone's time to meaningfully engage
in discussion of those concerns on their merits.

The scenario you have proposed - in which the CA/B Forum would be taking an
unprecedented and unthinkable step of attempting to regulate CAs
communications with their customers, an act that certainly raises very real
concerns about the nature of this group - can already be addressed clearly
and unambiguously by any CA who shares your concerns, and in the present
form.

I see no reason to open this group to the legal risk, let alone the risk of
failure of the ballot precisely because of that risk, for a hypothetical
scenario that you continue to pose, yet refuse to address why it cannot be
solved in the current ballot.

For the very obvious reason that such tactics of using the CA/Browser Forum
to interfere in other CAs communication with their customers is an obvious
and clear gross overstep of purpose. And because such an amendment is
demonstrably unnecessary given the ability of CAs to disclaim such
practices, if parcticed, by others within their CPS, it is wholely
unnecessary and downright negligent to support such a proposal.

These are strong words precisely because your amendment is so
unquestionably a significant new approach to regulation, with seriously
negative precedent, and which would seriously jeopardize an otherwise
simple ballot that merely seeks to set out documentary practice before any
attempt at normative regulation.

Surely you can recognize the significant value of making small improvements
in uncontroversial ways, and allowing the body of experience and practice
then further guide the regulatory framework. For example, your stated
concerns can easily be addressed through other means which do not raise the
verg real spectre of anticompetitive behavior that your amendment, as
written, does.

> This is a pre-ballot, which is *intended* to bring suggestions from Forum
members for improvements.  So that’s what my proposed amendment was.  A
pre-ballot is not a steamroller.

> To date, no CA has objected to the amendment, or said it wants to engage
in the bad actions that my amendment would outlaw.  If we are going to test
CAA, we need acceptable “rules of the road” on CA behavior so CAA will be a
success, and will not be used as a blocking tactic (which would probably
eliminate all support for CAA in the future).

> And no, you never did outline your specific objections to the proposed
amendment in your prior email – you just said you didn’t want any delay.

> To put it directly: Do you think CAs should be able to engage in the
practices that would be prohibited by my proposed amendment?  If yes, why
would this behavior be acceptable?  If no, then you should support the
amendment.

> The proposed amendment again:
>

> In order to make certain that CAA is not used by CAs in an
anticompetitive manner, no CA shall (1) request or suggest that a customer
include the CA’s name in a CAA record for the domain in question if the
customer does not already have a CAA record that includes the name of one
or more other CAs but omits the CA’s name, (2) obtain authorization from
the customer to act on the customer’s behalf (directly or by request to the
customer’s DNS operator) to create a CAA record for the customer that
includes the CA’s name for the domain in question if the customer does not
already have a CAA record that includes the name of one or more other CAs
but omits the CA’s name, or (3) request or suggest that a customer include
the CA’s name in a CAA record for other domains not the subject of the
customer’s certificate order or obtain authorization from the customer to
act on the customer’s behalf (directly or by request to the customer’s DNS
operator) to create a CAA record for the customer for other domains not the
subject of the customer’s certificate order.

Right now, the support is concentrated mainly with the larger CAs who have
established customer bases that CAA would protect.  With my  proposed
amendments, not only larger, established CAs, but also smaller and newer
CAs may support CAA and this ballot.  That would be a good thing, right?

> > No CA has said it will only support the CAA ballot if CAs retain the
right to push customers to create a CAA record in their behalf, or the
right to create a CAA record for their customer – right?  So most CAs may
support my proposed amendment and pass the CAA ballot with that language
included.

> > So my question to you is – do you yourself oppose the proposed
amendment?  If so, why?

> > If you don’t oppose the amendment, then there’s really not a problem
and the ballot may pass with the added language.

> Kirk,
>
> I think my objections are pretty clear in my response. Your attempt to
further engage in this highlights precisely why such last minute proposals,
which are very clearly unnecessary and unrelated to the proposal, may be
seen as stalling tactics designed to undermine an otherwise simple proposal.

> Let's try to make some productive progress in the Forum, and focus on the
small, sustainable gains we can make by not introducing unnecessary
complexity or contentious requirements, which an attempt to regulate what a
CA can say communicate to their customers (the first of its kind in the
Forum) inherently is.

> I value your contribution, and would be happy to discuss further as a
separate ballot, but absolutely cannot support its addition to a simple
documentary ballot.

about a separate ballot for the amendment I proposed.

> > > When the Forum has discussed CAA in the past, it was noted that in
many large enterprises (the most likely candidates for CAA), the people who
buy certificates are not the same people who manage the company’s DNS – and
in fact, they may not work on the same continent or know each other.  So it
may be very difficult for CAA records to be updated – a potential
competitive handicap for new CAs, or CAs trying to sell to an organization
that buys its certs from others.

> > > Several of us tried experiments within our organizations, and found
this was so (no communication between the two groups).  It was also noted
that many enterprises buy certs from multiple CAs, sometimes a development
team needs a cert on very short notice, etc. – CAA could greatly complicate
this with no real benefit if any CA tries to get an exclusive CAA record
for itself and use it as a competitive blocking tool.

> > This proposal does not concern itself with that. It is merely a
requirement to document policies.

> > Your concerns - and certainly, they have been raised by other CAs -
about the possibility of a CA to abuse its position in a market are only
applicable when CAs are actually required to check CAA, which the Forum has
shown there is significant opposition by CAs to do.

> > > I’ll tell you want I’ll do at my next CA, Voracious CA – Section
18(d)(ii) of my Subscriber Agreement will say “You hereby authorize us to
contact your DNS operator and create a CAA record with our name in it.”
Hah!  I’ve just created a potential competitive block for all my
competitors, and the customer never knew.  And I’ll have my sales team
always say “Hey, you know how you can REALLY increase your security?
Create a CAA record and put our name in it.  That prevents rogue hackers
from getting certs in your valuable domain <a totally non-target domain for
hackers>.   I’ll email you instructions containing the name and phone
number of your DNS operator – you’ll get a discount on your next cert if
you do!”  Hah – I just fooled the customer into creating a CAA record that
only contains my name.

> > > Or if I also offer hosting services, I’ll bundle it all, with an
automatic CAA record thrown in.

> > And there are plenty of other ways to game the system that the BRs
don't deal with.

> > Respectfully, Kirk, I would simply ask whether or not you will support
a simple ballot, without your modifications, that simply requires CAs to
document their policies.

> > CAs that are concerned of such abusive (and, dare I say, unrealistic)
behavior have full liberty to take whatever measures you find suitable in
your CPS. This simply gets your position on record.

> > I see no reason to stall this ballot, which would inevitably be another
6 months of delay (we have been talking about this since the Mozilla F2F
nearly a year ago), when it makes no such requirements on any CA.

> > > For CAs to impose CAA on other CAs without protective language like
what I propose presents serious competition law issues.  No one yet has
said “it’s a good idea for CAs to tell their customers to create CAA
records, or to do it for them,” so the proposed language is a way to make
the CAA ballot palatable to many CAs (especially smaller or newer CAs).

> > Please reread the ballot. You, and the other CAs who have repeatedly
raised this concern as a way to dismiss CAA, have been listened to, which
is why the ballot is so narrow and focused as it is.

> > Any CA that shares your view of the unlikely situation occurring can
deal with it in their CPS. If you feel it actually is a problem, or it
would prohibit a ballot that required CAA enforcement (which, again, this
does not), then we can spend another 6 months working on this language and
hearing the same arguments we have heard for the past year+.

> > To be clear, I'm fully sympathetic to your fear, even though I find it
extremely unlikely, but I think its entirely disconnected and orthogonal to
a simple ballot as this, which simply requires documentation of practices.

> > Surely you can recognize the value in both such documentation and in
the Forum occasionally reaching consensus and forward progress in real and
pressing issues, rather than be stalled by years of debate and uncertainty
while trying to boil the ocean of CA practices.

> > I think we have two endorsers at this point, so I would be thrilled to
see this taken to a vote. If your fears prevent you from voting on such a
simple change, then we can certainly revisit this and discuss how to
assuage them, but I think if you and others who may feel the same read the
proposal, you will realize nothing unreasonable is being requested of you.

below (to be added at the end of your language in Sec. 8.2.2.  A word of
explanation:  every time CAA has come up as a topic of discussion at a CAB
Forum meeting or on a call, one or more CAs and browsers

> > > I have yet to hear a browser express this concern.

strategy by CAs in order to add hurdles for another CA to sell certificates
to the same customer.  The main way this could happen is if a CA induces a
customer to insert its name to a CAA record when there is no CAA record at
the time for the customer (or even worse, adds its name to a blank CAA
record in the customer's name -- this could happen if the fine print of the
Subscriber Agreement authorizes the CA to insert its name in a CAA record
for the customer and the customer has no idea this is happening).  Another
potential abuse would be if a CA got its name put in blank CAA records for
other domains registered to the customer that are not even part of the
pending certificate order so that other CAs would find it more difficult to
sell certificates for those domains.

language prohibiting this potential practice as anticompetitive.

> > > I have yet to hear a browser express this concern.

solely up to the customer, not the CA.

anticompetitive manner, no CA shall (1) request or suggest that a customer
include the CA’s name in a CAA record for the domain in question if the
customer does not already have a CAA record that includes the name of one
or more other CAs but omits the CA’s name, (2) obtain authorization from
the customer to act on the customer’s behalf (directly or by request to the
customer’s DNS operator) to create a CAA record for the customer that
includes the CA’s name for the domain in question if the customer does not
already have a CAA record that includes the name of one or more other CAs
but omits the CA’s name, or (3) request or suggest that a customer include
the CA’s name in a CAA record for other domains not the subject of the
customer’s certificate order or obtain authorization from the customer to
act on the customer’s behalf (directly or by request to the customer’s DNS
operator) to create a CAA record for the customer for other domains not the
subject of the customer’s certificate order.

> > > If you feel strongly about this, I feel it is worth a separate
ballot. I do not support burdening this ballot with that language.

2527)” should be “(section 4.1 for CAs still conforming to RFC 2527)”]

public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Ben Wilson
Ryan Sleevi (sleevi at google.com)

that I think is closest to where we were on this issue:

CAA Record as follows:

Resource Record of RFC 6844

holder to specify the Certification Authorities

of a CAA Resource Record allows public Certification Authorities to
implement additional controls to reduce the risk of unintended certificate
mis-issue.

7.1.2 or verification practices in section 11, as some have suggested) add
the following to the end of the paragraph on Disclosure:

adoption], section 4.2 of a CA's Certificate Policy and/or Certification
Practice Statement (section 4.1 for CA’s still conforming to RFC 2527) shall

the CA’s policy or practice on processing CAA Records and comparing them
with proposed Domain Names for the Common Name field or Subject Alternative
Name fields of certificates applications, and (3) any actions taken as
result of such comparison.

public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Sigbjørn Vik

people with more knowledge in the field conclude that this is not an issue,
that is fine with me, but it should be considered.