[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Wed Oct 29 16:24:37 MST 2014

On 10/30/2014 12:24 AM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Eddy Nigg <eddy_nigg at startcom.org
> <mailto:eddy_nigg at startcom.org>> wrote:
>

>     On 10/29/2014 08:50 PM, kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
>     <mailto:kirk_hall at trendmicro.com> wrote:
>>     I agree that browsers and apps will make their own judgments
>>     about when a case of BR non-compliance is serious enough to
>>     warrant a UI warning, and when it can be ignored.  I would just
>>     offer my opinion that lack of CDP and AIA data in a cert (whether
>>     or not Chrome wants to check that information in the client) is a
>>     fundamental certificate flaw that renders the cert inherently
>>     untrustworthy, and it should automatically be rejected by
>>     applications (just as expired certs, etc. are now automatically
>>     rejected).  But that’s just my opinion.
>
>     Considering that CAs were required to modify the OCSP responders
>     to include Good, Revoked and *Unknown* upon request of the
>     browsers mostly (I believe Google was a strong supporter of that),
>     it's rather confusing to know that browsers entirely ignore it if
>     the certificates have no OCSP (and CRL) pointers, not speaking
>     about checking this information when available.
>

>     So what does it matter if Diginotar knew or didn't knew which
>     certificates were issued if this information wouldn't be used anyway?
>

> OCSP stapling. And OCSP Must-Staple.

If Chrome gets a stapled response it, it honors it? But if there is no
stapled response it will not check with the responder? And if there is
neither it will not complain either?

Sorry, still confused (I'm sure other browsers will handle it yet
differently, but since you are here I'm asking).

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO