[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Wed Oct 29 11:50:04 MST 2014

Ryan, thanks for the information, and I respect your analysis.  But many of us would say that revocation (and the ability to check for revocation) is a fundamental aspect of whether a cert is valid at all.

Other elements of BR noncompliance are important, but none is as important as when a CA says “Don’t rely on this cert, it has been revoked.”  Without CDP and AIA data in a cert, there is no way that any application can check to see if the cert is still valid and should be relied on (the cert may or may not be listed in any CRL).  That’s a fundamental flaw in a trust system involving third party trust anchors, trusted root stores, etc. and in my opinion goes way beyond general BR compliance issues, which version of the BRs applies, etc.  It’s kind of launching a missile with no way to destroy it mid-flight for error or new information (like the war is over) – you had better be sure everything was correct at launch, as there is no way to recall it.

I agree that browsers and apps will make their own judgments about when a case of BR non-compliance is serious enough to warrant a UI warning, and when it can be ignored.  I would just offer my opinion that lack of CDP and AIA data in a cert (whether or not Chrome wants to check that information in the client) is a fundamental certificate flaw that renders the cert inherently untrustworthy, and it should automatically be rejected by applications (just as expired certs, etc. are now automatically rejected).  But that’s just my opinion.