[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Fri Oct 24 12:27:35 MST 2014

On 24/10/14 20:19, Brian Smith wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org
> <mailto:gerv at mozilla.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 24/10/14 05:46, Jeremy.Rowley wrote:
>     > The data Rob Stradling posted last time this was discussed showed a
>     > fairly significant clock skew issue.  Here's the data he sent back in 2012:
>
>     Mozilla's more recent data doesn't show the problem as this large,
>     perhaps because more people have NTP-supporting OSes now than in 2012.
>
> Could you please share Mozilla's data, similar to how Comodo shared
> their data? I think seeing the data would be useful for people to make
> an informed decision.

Yes, that would be helpful.  :-)

Our data came only from Windows boxes (XP and newer).  IIRC (and it's
been a while since I used XP so I could be wrong), XP does a weekly NTP
sync by default.  Perhaps newer Windowses sync to NTP more frequently.
If so, the drop in XP usage since 2012 would be part of the reason why
Mozilla's stats show that the situation has improved.

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist