[cabfpub] OIDs for DV and OV

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Mon Oct 6 21:34:15 MST 2014

…That have no meaningful programmatic purpose for Google.  As mentioned, others are interested in programmatically using this information for security purposes.  Although Google might feel that OV/IV does not increase security above DV, this opinion is thankfully not universal.  Plus, evaluating a CAs ability to follow even the most basic of BR requirements is a plus.

The role of the CAB Forum is “defining the guidelines and  means of implementation for best practices as a way of providing a heightened security for  Internet transactions and creating a more intuitive method of displaying secure sites to Internet  users.”  Whether you support or oppose the proposal depends on whether you think this provides heightened security (DigiCert is obviously in this camp) or a more intuitive method of displaying secure sites (another “yes” in our opinion since, as mentioned before, PayPal expressed an interest in this).  Whether the cost is trivial or not again depends on your viewpoint.  So far, I have yet to hear a CA opposed to the proposal because of cost reasons so I suspect you are referring to larger, more abstract costs.  If so, then we’ll just have to disagree since our view is the cost is minimal if it provides users information they didn’t have before.

Jeremy