[cabfpub] [TRANS] CA survey - CT Precertificate format in 6962-bis

Stephen Davidson S.Davidson at quovadisglobal.com
Fri Oct 3 05:44:32 MST 2014

Hi Rob:

Thanks for this.  Here's my personal feedback:

1) Yes, implementing the ability to use the same serial in both the precert and actual cert is onerous for many CAs, but
2) the CAs responsible for the vast majority of SSL issuance will have to make it happen as the Google EV implementation precedes the standards track.

I believe that the complexity of dealing with that non-unique serial has been at the heart of most CA resistance to CT, but the authors of CT considered it an essential requirement.

While I am grateful to have the difficulties of the non-unique serial acknowledged, it strikes me as fruitless to open discussion at this late stage.  CAs are already implementing CT:  it goes live in 89 days.

Best regards, Stephen