[cabfpub] (Eventually) requiring id-kpServerAuth for all certs in the chain?

Kelvin Yiu kelviny at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri Nov 21 03:06:52 UTC 2014

I agree the audit requirements needs to be clearer since section 17 of the current BR already requires all unconstrained CAs to be audited. However, the list of audit schemes is horribly out of date. For example, referencing ETSI TS 102 042 without specifying the certificate policy is insufficient. The list may contradict with browser requirements (for example, Microsoft no longer accept ISO 21188 audits). It also feels like circular reference.

Instead of each browser root program maintaining their own separate audit requirements, would it be better for the CABF as a body to maintain a list of suitable audit criteria (along with the version of the audit criteria and possibly auditor qualification information) in a separate guidelines document that browsers can reference?

I agree with Ryan that changes to the certificate profile needs to be gradual.

Kelvin