[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot - Short-Life Certificates

Ben Laurie benl at google.com
Tue Nov 18 17:22:18 UTC 2014

On Mon Nov 10 2014 at 3:03:04 PM Sigbjørn Vik <sigbjorn at opera.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some more thoughts, since that is what you wanted :)
>
> It seems that in general, we have an issue, where we cannot upgrade
> certificate specifications and usage, because it will break older
> clients. When legacy usage is a problem like this, it would be good to
> fix it. Most likely the problem will become worse over time, and it will
> take time to get the fix out to all clients, so we should start right away.
>
> TLS SNI ensured that one server could serve different certificates
> depending on which domain the client wants to connect to. If we made a
> similar extension for the client to state what it supports, then the
> server could serve different certificates depending on what the client
> understands. In practice such an extension might say e.g. "Client
> support version 1.0; Opera version 25.0.1614.68", that is sufficient for
> the server to know what the client supports, and to work around any
> client specific bugs. Privacy minded users/vendors can fall back to not
> specifying the extension, and get old style certificates.
>
> If we had such a specification, then the discussion around short-lived
> certificates would be quite different, as we don't need to worry about
> legacy clients, servers just keep serving them the old certificates. So
> assume this exists, then read on :)
>
> One of the issues I have with not specifying revocation pointers is that
> it is then possible to bulk pre-issue certificates for a year, with no
> way to revoke them. When things are possible to do, sooner or later
> someone will want to do them, e.g. due to some old legacy system which
> nobody dares change. Having rules which can be checked programmatically
> is much preferable.
>
> So here is another suggestion:
> Create a special breed of short-lived certificates. They have no 'valid
> from' or 'valid to' fields, nor revocation pointers. Instead they carry
> a proof of the time they were issued, e.g. the latest hash from a CT
> log. The certificate is valid 3 days from that timestamp. Backdating is
> possible (and legal, but more than 3 days is pointless), pre-issuing is
> impossible. Clients have CT log data anyhow, and can compare their local
> time to the log time, and automatically account for any clock skew.
> Since clock skew is handled, expired certs can be treated just as
> harshly as revoked certs. Total data size on the wire should be smaller
> than the original proposal.

I would certainly be pushing for CT to be used for short-lived
certificates, just like any other, so that part I'm fine with.

However, if we're going to introduce logs as a trusted source of time, then
we would need to think about how logs can prove that their time is honest.
This strikes me as potentially quite tricky.