[cabfpub] .onion proposal

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Nov 18 06:11:25 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>
wrote:

>  I’m thinking it should be amendment to the BRs, not the EV Guidelines.
> The BRs have the prohibition against internal names, not the EV
> Guidelines.  We can move the language into Section 11; however, I thought
> it’d be better to keep the language separate as an appendix, similar to how
> we addressed issuance in Japan.

1) I definitely think this belongs in Section 11.1 - or at least with
respect to (ii), (iii), and (iv) - since that's specifically about
validating how names are presented in a certificate. This ensures that if a
name DOES exist that contains both a valid web address and a .onion name,
it's clear how those names apply (namely, how ALL DNS names - including
name constraints - apply)

2) This does highlight a disparity with the EVGs if the feeling is that the
EVGs can issue internal names. Or are you saying that you're seeing the
EVGs already incorporate by reference the BRs' sunset dates?

> Embarrassingly, I sent the wrong proposal for validation:
>
> a) .onion
>
> .onion is a pseudo-top level domain name that is used to designated hidden
> services reachable within the Tor network.  When issuing a Certificate that
> contains a .onion Domain Name, the CA MUST:

Except it's not a pseudo-top level domain. It's a real and valid top-level
domain. It MAY be reserved by IANA action (as being pursued in the IETF).
It MAY be delegated by IANA (if IANA so chooses), though it may be a high
risk domain if they do.

>  i) Verify the Applicant's legal existence and identity, business
> presence, reliable method of communication, and operational existence in
> accordance with the CA/Browser Forum's EV Guidelines,

Will this be communicated via a set of mandatory fields in the cert? Will
it contain the EV CPS?

>  ii) Obtain the hidden service descriptor for the requested .onion Domain
> Name by connecting to the .onion service,
>
> iii) Obtain a CSR from the Applicant that is signed by the private key
> obtained from the hidden service descriptor for the requested .onion Domain
> Name,

This is good in theory, but it potentially means using the .onion key for
multiple purposes, which would be bad.

Let's also not forget that .onion names are NOT globally unique, not in the
way that DNS names are, at least with respect to a truncated SHA-1's second
preimage resistance