[cabfpub] .onion proposal

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Wed Nov 12 23:44:45 UTC 2014

If something comes up that is equally as important, I think we should address the problem in the BRs and consider how to deal with it.  Afterall, we make changes to the guidelines on a regular basis for other reasons.  Dealing with real-world limitations caused by the guidelines is a very good reason for making a change.

I doubt delegation of .onion by IANA would make anyone happy, especially not Tor and its users. Delegation doesn't really fit in their plan since the names are created from a key rather than registered with a registry. Although technical solutions may eventually be in place, the CAB Forum can act more quickly than that to show support for Tor and entities using .onion addresses.