[cabfpub] (Eventually) requiring id-kpServerAuth for all certs in the chain?

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Nov 5 18:04:31 UTC 2014

It only became a violation under Mozilla's policies precisely because of
the BR ambiguity in allowing "intent". Namely, they introduced language
regarding technical capability, with a definition, and require all such
certs conform to Mozilla's policies.

However, even today, under v2.2 of Mozilla's policies, that would allow a
CA to have such intermediates unaudited, since the BRs can allow them to
dismiss the intermediate via intent. It must be disclosed to Mozilla, and
must be audited, but the audit could be to the extent to say "This is out
of scope", which the auditor can then happily certify.

Note that this required specific language from Mozilla to bring in scope to
their requirements what should be quite obvious to CAs. Gerv's proposal -
and the one proposed back in Mountain View and Brian has rechoed here -
both seek ways to incorporating that common sense definition into the BRs,
so that there is no confusion on the expectations of both CAs and auditors.