[cabfpub] downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Nov 5 15:50:51 UTC 2014

On 05/11/14 14:48, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
> That wasn't the point of creating EV. From the beginning, EV was
> intended to reach only the largest companies on the internet.  It was
> designed at the request of Microsoft and banks to be a premiere
> indicator of identity.  EV was never intended to impact OV issuance.

Well, it looks like opinions differ on this, then :-) I remember the CAs
arguing that browsers should do new UI for OV, but various other CAs
proving quite how much some existing OV issuance processes sucked, and
so we decided not to do that. So EV was started to provide an auditable
standard everyone could agree on.

I would like EV to reach as many companies and people on the Internet as
possible consistent with it still providing robust identity guarantees.