[cabfpub] Pre-ballot on Insurance and Financial Responsibility

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue Nov 25 16:49:12 MST 2014

Ryan – I’ll try to address your concern below – let me know if we are talking past each other.

Each country has its own national laws on when the seller of a product or service can be held liable by a customer and/or by a third party who is injured by a defect (such as a mis-issued cert).  I can only speak to US law (based on UK law, but changed over the years).

Speaking very broadly, there are two sources of potential liability under US law for a defective product – contract law, and tort law (a tort is a legal wrong that exists independent of a contract, such as if I hit your car).  Contract law means the seller is liable generally for whatever the contract says (and is usually not liable to a third party, such as a relying party).  But under something called the UCC, there is a presumption that the product meets general requirements for the product (e.g., the toaster will toast bread).  However, this can be disclaimed to some degree in a contract.  Most CAs try to limit or deny liability to relying parties in Relying Party Agreements.

As to tort liability, the seller will be generally liable for a product that explodes and hurts the customer or even an unknown third party (like a relying party), if the product was defective.  In most cases, the claimant has to prove four elements to collect damages – duty, breach of duty (the first two elements are “negligence”), causation of damages, and amount of damages.  However, if a thing is inherently dangerous (like an exploding toaster), the injured party generally doesn’t have to prove negligence, and it’s up to the maker/seller to prove there was no negligence.

I’m going through all this to try to point out that current law does potentially impose both contractual and tort liability on CAs – but probably can be disclaimed by the CAs in the Subscriber Agreement and the Relying Party Agreement (maybe).  Of course, this legal analysis will be different for every country where the CA does business.  As I understand it, it may be harder for a CA to avoid legal liability in Europe than the US.

My ballot did not attempt to describe the cases in which a CA could or would be legally liable to subscribers (customers) or relying parties – that’s simply too hard to do.  What my ballot is trying to do is say to CAs “Whatever your legal liability is in a given country, you can’t eliminate that liability through your Subscriber Agreement or Relying Party Agreement to a figure below [what is in the ballot]”.  That is a big improvement on the current situation, where a CA may be liable for a mis-issued DV or OV cert, but can walk away from injured parties without paying a cent – that would end with this ballot.