[cabfpub] .onion proposal

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Nov 19 13:44:44 MST 2014

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>
wrote:

> How do you address this concern other than by modifying the way the onion
> names are assigned? I guess either not permit conflicting services by only
> routing to the service with the oldest identified service (instead of
> evicting the old service) or having Tor move to a SHA-2 hash.  I know Tor
> is looking at the issue and will likely have more insight they can share.
>
> While a solution is in flux, the Forum should still have validation rules
> in place for onion that last until 2016 (the revocation date of all
> internal names) so that current certs undergo a set process for issuance
> rather than issue as internal names.
>
> Jeremy

You mean 1 November 2015. That's been the date that no BR-conforming CA is
allowed to set the expiration date past. (9.2.1 of BR 1.2.2)

PROPOSAL: Effectively immediately, CAs MUST NOT issue certificates for the
.onion TLD and MUST revoke all certificates issued for the .onion TLD

Then we work out a proposal to set up rules for validating .onion names,
which may or may not be blocked on Tor work at the protocol or browser
level, and also work - with the broader Tor community - to see if there is
any interim steps that can be accepted.