[cabfpub] about EV period for Gov

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Tue Nov 18 09:16:05 MST 2014

From: Ryan Sleevi [mailto:sleevi at google.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2014 9:37 AM

[RWS] <snip>

So would you support limiting the BRs to 27 months in order to harmonize? Or
to 15 months across the board?

[RWS] I suspect that is a harder sell amongst the CAs than 39 month EVs are to
you.  Not speaking for Comodo for a moment, just for myself, I won't say that
I'm absolutely opposed to it, but I do think it's overkill.  Frankly I think,
now that we've agreed on a 39 month max across the industry, certificate
lifetime is not the bottleneck when it comes to rolling out major enhancements
to TLS.  Given that any major shift in TLS requires not just the CAs, but also
the CLIENTS and, SERVERS to support it, I seriously doubt the ability to roll
out any major upgrade in under 39 months regardless of the max lifetime of
certificates.  Frankly changing the CA policies is the easy part.  Any major
change needs virtually all clients and servers to support it to avoid breaking
the internet.  We've seen how difficult that is with SHA-2.  It was never the
CAs holding back SHA-2 adoption.  It was always, and still is, though we've
chosen now to write off the stragglers, client and server support.  CAs would
have been happy to issue SHA-2 the moment the algorithm was available, but
there wouldn't have been much point with no support from client and server
software.  10 years on and we are still effectively breaking compatibility
with a significant number of clients by rolling it out now.

-Rich