[cabfpub] DV/OV UI

Tim Hollebeek THollebeek at trustwave.com
Tue Nov 11 07:13:35 MST 2014

No, enforcing reasonable minimum security standards across an industry segment is not an anti-trust violation.  X9F, for example, has similar anti-trust rules, but still manages to publish standards for minimum security requirements for payment cards, etc.  I see no reason why the CAB forum and e-commerce is different in this regard.

For example, X9F4 is currently writing a standard on minimum security standards for debit authentication for e-commerce and banking.  That's very similar, and not an anti-trust violation.

Unfortunately, I have not seen much interest from the browser community in protecting payment card authentication information, and that saddens me.  I haven't checked the state of things recently, but way too many browsers are willing to (for example) save CVV numbers, auto-fill forms with them, and sync them to other devices, unless the e-commerce page explicitly goes out of its way to say "don't store this" (which most don't).

I would have to ponder the implications more, but moving all e-commerce payment authentication to EV over time is an idea worth considering.

-Tim