[cabfpub] Reposts/Forwards to the Public List (Was: Re: FW: FW: downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV)

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Nov 10 13:06:40 MST 2014

Hi Dean,

As a question regarding our bylaws, we setup the public list to be
write-only due to concerns about the IPR policy (
https://cabforum.org/ipr-policy/)

However, as we've done so, we've seen a varying degrees of participation
coming in through either our questions@ list (as Entrust used to do) or
through members reposting on behalf of others (as was originally done for
Entrust, and as you've done here). In both cases, the originator of the
message is not required to agree to the IPR policy.

I'm not sure that reposting to the public list is appropriate here. For
example, what if John has some IPR regarding the presentation of
certificates? We don't know, and his contributions - like Entrust's - are
not bound by the IPR policy, and AIUI, your reposting also can't bind their
IPR to the policy.

Understandably, we'd love to see full public participation in the
discussions, which we advocated for throughout the IPR discussions. But now
that the Forum has set our policies, should we adhere to them, as onerous
and unfortunate as we (Google) find them.