[cabfpub] downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Thu Nov 6 16:38:43 MST 2014

On 11/05/2014 05:50 PM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> Well, it looks like opinions differ on this, then :-) I remember the CAs
> arguing that browsers should do new UI for OV, but various other CAs
> proving quite how much some existing OV issuance processes sucked, and
> so we decided not to do that. So EV was started to provide an auditable
> standard everyone could agree on.

Even though I was involved only on the sidelines at that time, I tend to
agree with Jeremy that EV was understood to be an EXTENDED validation.
Something that is truly very deep with strong requirements. At least
that what I hope it is.

One fact the browser vendors have to acknowledge is that there is a
fairly small percentage having EV certificates, but for sites which are
also fairly important (mostly).

General OV and IV as defined today in the BR is - despite the lack of
any UI benefits - still very strong and popular. And perhaps you should
think about it why it's so persistent both with the CAs and the
subscribers ordering it.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO