[cabfpub] downgrade DV UI RE: OIDs for DV and OV

Tim Hollebeek THollebeek at trustwave.com
Wed Nov 5 06:09:42 MST 2014

A few comments.  First, if a bank is using anything other than EV, they shouldn’t be a bank.

You can’t really split out the security provided by identity verification from the security provided by protection against eavesdropping into two separate things.  If you have identity verification without encryption, there can be no private information transmitted (which is usually pretty useless), and if you have encryption without identity verification, things are even worse, since there can be arbitrarily many “men in the middle”.  TLS is an authenticated encryption protocol.

DV has uses beyond just its encryption function.  Remember, DNS is not a trustworthy protocol.  If you are talking to http://something.example.com, you don’t even know the information came from something.example.com, or even any machine owned, authorized, or administered by the owner of example.com.  It could even be coming from 127.0.0.127.

If you are talking to https://something.example.com, you know (with low confidence …) the information is coming from a machine administered by the owner of example.com.  That’s certainly a big improvement over bare http; in fact I’d argue it’s getting close to time for bare http to just go away in many use cases.  It’s perfectly appropriate for, for example, reading articles or information posted by a small organization that owns a domain and little else.  That it actually comes from the domain owner is all I really care about.

In my opinion, EV, OV, and DV all have their uses in certain scenarios.  The fact that some people refuse to acknowledge use cases that are not important for their company or product(s) is not helpful.  And it should be easy to tell the intended use or uses of a certificate just by looking at the certificate.  I support any and all proposals to move things in that direction over time.

-Tim