[cabfpub] (Eventually) requiring id-kpServerAuth for all certs in the chain?

Eddy Nigg eddy_nigg at startcom.org
Mon Nov 3 14:28:00 MST 2014

On 11/03/2014 11:03 PM, Bruce Morton wrote:
> Sorry, my error. Somehow I got Certificate Policy and EKU mixed up in my mind.
>
> We do limit our intermediate CAs which issue SSL certificates to Server Auth and Client Auth.

Just for the record this is nowhere defined in any RFC - id-kpServerAuth
is usually for end-user certificates indicating support for
server-authentication. An intermediate CA with id-kpServerAuth could be
also used for server-authentication if it has other EKUs, but it doesn't
limit issuance to lets say code signing certificates.

--
Regards
Signer: 	Eddy Nigg, COO/CTO