[cabfpub] Ballot 122 - Verified Method of Communication

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Fri May 9 04:56:05 UTC 2014

I will just add to Jeremy's excellent summary with some historical perspective.

When the first draft of the EVGL (called "High Assurance" at that time) were considered in 2005, verifying the customer's phone number was basically a no-brainer afterthought.  Of course that's what we would all do -- simple, look in the phone book, why not.  Now, it's harder and harder, even for very real companies you know exist.  We are finding newer, mid-size companies that don't want to bother with a land line anymore (some are tech companies who think copper wire is too 19th century to bother).  Do we want to force them all to produce a lawyer/accountant letter attesting to which phone number you can use to reach them?  That's about the only alternative today under the current EVGL.

For EV, we must find the customer in a major data base (with physical address), in a government registry, and be able to communicate with them through a reliable means to confirm with the customer rep and generally (for EV) with the Contract Signer and often with someone in HR.   We must also record the name and address of their official Registered Agent in the government data base -- that's the person who receives official mail, legal summons, etc. on their behalf.

I prefer finding a phone number for a customer in a directory, but sadly it's going the way of 8 track tapes and dial phones, and doesn't really confirm physical location in any case.  I expect that in the next decade, there will be new, third party, reliable directories on how to reach companies -- maybe a government registry, maybe something else.  We will see what Norway does.  Each must be evaluated on its own, and maybe as Jeremy suggests the Forum in some way must approve each new method.  But I can tell you that land lines are going away for many real business customers, and we don't want to shut them out from EV certs.

Plus I can tell you that for a number of major tech companies, their land lines go to an automated switchboard where you can NEVER reach a real person (e.g,  a major server company in Silicon Valley you all know, which will go unnamed), only endless recorded loops and never any chance to reach a human operator, so land lines are maybe overrated.

I'm curious -- I'll bet many on this list have dropped their land lines, and just use mobile or VOIP (many of my friends have, and I may soon).  So does that put us in a new, questionable category?