[cabfpub] Revisiting CAA

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue May 6 06:01:20 UTC 2014

Well, unless there is more information you can share, I don’t think that’s correct.

If any CA gets a cert request for a domain that is registered to Google, first they verify that the organization exists, and then they call the organization though a phone number (for Google) verified by a third party data source.  That’s OV vetting.  EV vetting is more complex.

Is that the phone calls you are receiving?  Regular vetting?  If yes, it sounds like vetting is working.  If not, can you explain?

Of course, most or all CAs will add extra verification steps for high risk targets, like your company and all the other browsers on this list.  That will typically flag extra verification steps.

If you are receiving calls that indicate the combination of regular OV and EV vetting, plus the special steps that CAs take to deal with high risk targets like the browsers (as prescribed by the BRs and EVGL) is NOT sufficient, can you share some information with the Forum?  We can then consider if the vetting steps are not sufficient.