[cabfpub] Ballot 121 - EVGL Insurance Requirements

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Mon May 5 22:10:42 UTC 2014

Gerv - my frustration is that the proponents of keeping the current EVGL insurance requirements the same have never said "we need to keep the current insurance requirements because the insurance will cover claims from the public and customers that may arise from a CA's bad practices".  In fact, the current insurance requirements are *not* relevant at all to claims from the public and customers from a bad cert -- and no one has said they are relevant.  I ran an insurance company for 12 years, so I have some familiarity with this area.

There is *no connection* between the current insurance requirements and responding to claims from the public and customers.  Does anyone on the listserv disagree with that?

That's why I say the burden is on the people who want to keep the current insurance requirements to prove they are useful for protecting the public.  If no one will step forward with actual, substantive information, then the requirement should go.

The only true way to protect the public would be to require CAs to deposit money or securities with a third party escrow with instructions to use the money to independently investigate and pay claims...  which is not insurance.  But that would be expensive and difficult to do, and no one would support that.

By the way -- the same is (generally) true for browsers -- you don't have insurance that would directly respond to claims from members of the public of harm they suffered from using your browser....  Whatever insurance your browser maintains is solely for the purpose of protecting you, not the public.

One other point -- eliminating the (meaningless) EVGL insurance requirement does NOT eliminate any liability a CA may have to the public and to customers.  That liability would stay EXACTLY the same, so people would be mistaken in saying elimination of the insurance requirement was a way for CAs to avoid liability -- far from it, the two are entirely separate.  (If you fail to pay for auto coverage and then cause an accident, you are still personally liable for the harm you did and can be sued even though you don't have insurance.)