[cabfpub] Ballot 122 - Verified Method of Communication

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri May 2 09:04:58 UTC 2014

On 01/05/14 17:43, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Voting starts today.  (Unless otherwise told, I am counting the votes
> received already from SECOM and Actalis.)

The question here is: what is the "Telephone Number for Applicant’s
Place of Business" requirement actually there for? Is it to make sure
that the CA can communicate with the applicant during the issuance
process? Or is it part of the system making sure that the applicant is
who they say they are, and can be traced as real?

Is the information obtained here part of the cert, or not?

The EV Guidelines say:

" To further verify the Applicant’s physical existence and business
presence, as well as to assist in confirming other verification
requirements, the CA MUST verify a main telephone number for one of
the Applicant’s Places of Business."

I don't think an email address does anything to "further verify the
Applicant’s physical existence and business presence".

However, I do see the issue that perhaps there are now businesses out
there who do not have a standard fixed landline phone. I am open to
finding a solution to this issue, but it seems to me that:

" a public telecommunication routing number (ITU- T E.164-compliant
fixed, mobile, fax, or SMS), an email address, or a postal delivery address"

is too broad, and the new requirement does not serve the same purpose as
the old, as it says it's solely for obtaining "a reliable way of
communicating with the Applicant".

So Mozilla's current vote is NO.