[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 123 - Revalidation of Information

Ben Wilson ben at digicert.com
Thu May 22 13:00:16 MST 2014

Thanks, Joanna.   While I haven't had time yet to complete all of the
minutes from the last telephone call, here is what Ryan Sleevi said about
Ballot 123, so I'm not sure whether this should be moved out to comment and
vote as an official ballot yet:

Ryan S:  The initial validation of information begins a process.   The
information in a certificate is presented as still valid.  If you take six
months to gather the information, and then you issue the certificate, things
may have changed.  (E.g. your first step was validation of domain control,
but then you take six months to complete issuance.) There has been talk that
the upper bound of the lifetime of the certificate should be limited to the
oldest piece of information.   However, some CAs want it to be the newest
piece of information (i.e. upon certificate issuance), so that issue has not
been resolved.

----

As a side note, I looked up Section 7.1, which repeatedly states that the
representations are made, "as of the date the EV Certificate was issued," so
it appears that CAs are already required to ensure the currency of certain
information upon certificate issuance.

Ballot 123 allows reuse only if the information was fresh (within 30 days)
upon certificate issuance-"provided that the information obtained for
issuance of that EV Certificate was within thirty (30) days of that
Certificate issuance".

It appears to me that Section 7.1 and proposed Ballot 123 adequately address
time frames, but if we want to make more explicit what is otherwise implied
about information used for initial issuance, I suppose we could take
suggestions.  Otherwise, it seems that we should address re-use for
re-issuance  first, because specific time limits / warranty modifications
for initial issuance can be addressed more clearly in a separate ballot.

Thoughts?

Ben