[cabfpub] Ballot 122 - Verified Method of Communication

Kelvin Yiu kelviny at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu May 8 14:09:49 MST 2014

I don't disagree with the fact that using a landline telephone number to verify physical existence is increasingly irrelevant. However, I vaguely recall discussions in the early meetings (before we coined the term EV) where we wanted to have 2 data sources to verify physical existence and the landline phone company was considered a good secondary source.

It is entirely possible that information from Q*ISs have gotten so good that we don't need a secondary verification and I just don't know it. I just haven't seen any discussion on whether we need to improve the physical existence test or whether a physical existence test is still relevant.

To be clear, I have no problems with using mobile phones, Skype/VoIP, email, or whatever the next new thing is to communicate with the applicant, as long as the contact info originate from a Q*IS and the method meets a predefined security bar.

Kelvin