[cabfpub] Use of wildcard certificates by cloud operators

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue May 6 14:22:55 MST 2014

So it's unambiguous, the specific language from 11.1.3 of BR's 1.1.7 (
https://cabforum.org/wp-content/uploads/BRv1.1.7.pdf ) that I'm referring
to is

"unless the applicant proves its rightful control of the entire Domain
Namespace. (e.g. CAs
MUST NOT issue “*.co.uk” or “*.local”, but MAY issue “*.example.com” to
Example Co.)."

For *.appspot.com, *.azurewebservices.net, or *.nike, if the applicant was
Google, Microsoft, or Nike (respectively), then they could prove rightful
control over the entire Domain Namespace (eg: via WHOIS or the other
methods, as detailed in 11.1.1)