[cabfpub] Revisiting CAA

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri May 2 17:59:01 MST 2014

Kirk,

I collected all the feedback on CAA and posted it on the wiki at https://www.cabforum.org/wiki/CAA

-Rick

-----Original Message-----
From: public-bounces at cabforum.org [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2014 5:54 PM
To: Gervase Markham; public at cabforum.org
Subject: Re: [cabfpub] Revisiting CAA

Another concern we have with CAA (apart from the fact that it would not have avoided any known cases of certificate mis-issuance in the past) is that often in larger companies (the most typical fraud targets), the person who buys the certs is not the person who manages the DNS -- and often, the person who buys the certs doesn't even know who is managing the DNS.

Gerv -- at one point, you were going to conduct a test within Mozilla on this point -- how easy/hard was it to get CAA notations put in the proper DNS records, and how easy was it to coordinate the buyer(s) of certs for Mozilla with the various people in charge of the DNS for Mozilla's websites.  As I recall, you found it somewhat difficult to discover and coordinate the two groups.  Is that correct?